For a lot of people, their headphones are probably the most important accessory without which they never leave home. Even if the smaller in-ear earbuds are more popular mostly due to their convenience, over-the-ear headphones offer better sound. The larger driver delivers better bass and crystal clear mids and highs.
As the manufacturing costs decreased significantly and smaller and smaller brands emerged, high-fidelity headphones are more affordable than ever. There used to be times when the market was dominated by just a few major brands. Today, smaller brands have an easier time making their own products by outsourcing production. This is why we now have hundreds of different brands which offer high-quality headphones for a reasonable price.
Best Headphones in 2023
Even with all these things in mind, there are still a lot of low-end headphones that can simply ruin a song due to the poor drivers used. These models are fairly easy to spot as they are dirt cheap. Even if they look great, this does not mean they sound right. For this reason, we decided to make our own list containing 10 models of headphones that are well-known for their sound quality. Let’s get right into it and head over to the list of the top 10 best headphones in 2023 reviews.
Numark Red Wave Professional Over-Ear DJ Headphones
- Designed by DJ's for DJ's
- Swivelling earcup design lets you monitor house audio and the cue mix with ease
- Breathable protein-leather padding that remains comfortable during extended use
- Closed-cup, around-the-ear design maximizes noise rejection so you can concentrate on the beat
- Large 50mm driver delivers punchy, defined low-frequency sound without distortion
Despite being advertised as professional headphones, the Numark Red Wave is an affordable product. The audio quality is quite impressive, with excellent response to low frequencies. This means rich bass and clear mids and highs. Their 50 mm drivers can deliver a heavy punch.
Since they are over-the-ear headphones, the model comes with soft leather-covered earpads. The head strap is also padded with soft foam and leather that makes them comfortable even when used for several hours.
Panasonic Over-the-Ear Stereo Headphones RP-HT227
- Lightweight, open-air design
- 30mm large neodymium drivers with xbs deliver rich powerful bass and natural treble
- Comfort-fit with a wide headband and foam-cushioned ear cups for added listening comfort
- Long, 4. 5 ft. Cable threads comfortably through clothes
The Panasonic RP-HT227 is an excellent option for the ones that have a limited budget. It is an inexpensive pair of headphones that comes with a simple design and reasonable sound quality. They use 28 mm drivers that can deliver both bass and treble are moderate quality levels.
What some might not like about them is how fragile the head strap seems. The headphones have soft padding on the ear pads for added comfort and reversible earpieces that can be rotated.
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 ohm Studio Headphones
- Closed over-ear headphones, ideal for professional recording and monitoring
- Perfect for studio and stage recordings thanks to their pure, high-resolution sound
- The soft, circumaural and replaceable velour ear pads ensure high wearing comfort
- Hard-wearing, durable and robust workmanship Made in Germany. Innovative bass reflex system
- Practical single-sided cable (3.0m cable) . Comfortable fit due to rugged, adjustable, soft padded headband construction
The Beyerdynamic DT 770 might seem expensive for some, but their sound quality is difficult to match. These premium headphones were built to be used as studio monitors, but they can serve as regular headphones as well.
The large drivers used to deliver a deep bass and clear treble, making each song sound clear and with no distortions. Its ear pads are extra-large and have an extra layer of fabric that improves comfort. They might promote sweating which implies that they can be used only in certain circumstances.
Sony MDRXB800 Headphones
The Sony MDRXB800 headphones are part of their lineup of products that use special drivers which deliver extra bass. With a new and modern design, the headphones seem extremely solid and comfortable at the same time. They have an on-ear design with soft pads and an almost indestructible head strap.
To ensure optimal audio quality, Sony used gold-plated connectors. The driver has a special design that improves acoustics while the wire is oxygen-free, which reduces noise levels.
Alien I35 Stereo Lightweight Foldable Headphones
- AILIHEN Comfortable Volume Limited 85dB Kids Safe Headphones: A must gift headphones for your children with a volume limited hearing protection and an adorable design and pillow soft headband for ultra comfort. What’s more, memory-protein cushioned earmuffs also help you minimize tiredness
- Foldable and Portable: Collapsible design provide convenient take out. Fold the headphone up and take it anywhere while you are on airplane, travel or in a car. Just enjoy your music everywhere with your kids
- Adjustable design: Adjustable headband meets the requirement of all head sizes. Lightweight design for kids aged 3 and up, and won’t become their burden. The wonderful sound is matched by standout comfort
- Inline Microphone: The HD microphone on the braided cable provides clear, hands-free communication, with one button to control music play and phone calls
- Wide compatibility: With standard 3.5mm audio jack suitable for listening to music or audiobooks. Compatible with your devices like cellphones, laptop, computer, Chromebook, MP3, MP4 and other Audio devices
It is a bit surprising just how good the Ailihen I35 headphones sound, especially when their low price tag is taken into consideration. They are an excellent choice for the ones that need something dirt cheap. That sounds great.
The model has a modern design with black and orange accents. It features padded ear pads and a soft head strap. They even have a built-in microphone that makes them compatible with any smartphone and can be used to take voice calls.
Razer Kraken Over Ear E-Panda Hooligan Headphones
- The construction of the Razer Kraken E-Panda Hooligan Headphones had multiple motivations: durability to withstand daily abuse on the go, comfort and fit to keep your head happy for hours on end, and sound quality to let your music move you like you want.
- The headphones are outfitted with large 40 mm neodymium magnet drivers tuned for crystal clear music in the high-and mid-ranges and packing deep bass for powerful lows, making them really versatile.
- The ear cups of the Razer Kraken E-Panda Hooligan Headphones are foldable, making the footprint of these full-sized headphones compact for maximum mobility so you can take them anywhere you go.
The Razer Kraken headphones were introduced several years ago and managed to become much more than a simple product designed for gamers. They are excellent for audiophiles and pretty much anyone who appreciates deep bass and crystal-clear treble.
The Hooligan special edition comes with a new gold and black design. They have the same padded earpieces and head strap, as well as the mesh cover for the outer side of the headphones. Sound quality is provided by the large 40 mm drivers, which have proven to be very versatile.
Sennheiser HD 598 Special Edition Headphones
- Premium, audiophile-grade over-ear, open back headphones
- Padded leatherette headband and luxurious velour covered ear pads perfect for long listening sessions
- Compatible with virtually every audio device including phones, tablets, computers and stereo components
- Two cable options (3 meters and 1.2 meters) included along with 3.5mm adapter plug.Jack plug-6.3 mm
- Impedance: 50 Ω
Sennheiser HD598 Special Edition is a premium pair of headphones that combine technology with clever design to deliver superior audio quality even for audiophiles.
The model uses large premium drivers which deliver a natural sound with rich bass and treble. Sennheiser used superior leather and padding for the head strap and made the ear pads very soft. They are extremely comfortable to wear for many continuous hours without causing any kind of pain or fatigue.
Bose QuietComfort 25 Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones
- Apple compatible devices Applies to: QC 25 noise cancelling headphones Apple devices The remote and mic are compatible with the following Apple devices: iPhone 3GS or later iPad iPod touch 2nd generation or later iPod classic 120GB, 160GB iPod nano 4th generation or later
- Deep, powerful sound for the music you love
- Lightweight, comfortable around ear fit you can wear all day long
- Control your music and calls on Apple devices with inline mic/remote
Bose QuietComfort 25 is excellent for both audiophiles and regular music lovers. They offer premium sound, but they also come with a premium price tag. They have powerful drivers and feature active noise canceling. This particular model is not wireless, but it is compatible with virtually any smartphone, laptop, computer, or mp3 player.
The model has a relatively slim design with a thin yet soft head strap and soft ear pads. Bose used gold connectors and made the audio cable removable.
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7B QuietPoint
- Connectivity Technology: Wired
- QuietPoint noise-cancelling headphones feature noise-cancelling circuitry that effectively reduces environmental noise by 90%
- Closed-back headphones feature large-aperture 40 mm drivers with neodymium magnet systems for impactful bass, extended treble and higher fidelity
- Lightweight, compact, fold-flat design is ideal for travel; fully integrated electronics: no external modules needed
- Full-size 1/4-inch adapter and specialized airline adapter for connecting to in-flight entertainment systems, and a handy carrying case
For the money, it is difficult to find a better pair of headphones that feature active noise canceling. Audio-Technica ATH-ANC78 is simply great for listening to music without any interruption, which will be greatly appreciated by travelers.
Similar to other headphones, they come with an over-the-ear design and padding for the head strap and ear pads. It uses large 40 mm drivers and has a removable audio cable. The sound quality is superior, with rich bass and highs.
Skullcandy Hesh 2.0 Headphones
- Skullcandy Hesh 2.0 Headphones - Gray/Cyan/Black
- Connectivity technology: wired
The Skullcandy Hesh 2.0 headphones fall under the category of streetwear. What this means is that their design makes them extremely appealing. Their price tag is low, and the sound quality is quite impressive.
According to the manufacturers, the headphones are recommended mostly for the ones that like to listen to music directly from their smartphone. They are capable of delivering rich sound even at high volumes. Also, they are available in more than 20 different color combinations, and there is even a Bluetooth edition.
Pricing for headphones can vary a lot. There are models that can even cost thousands of dollars, but they did not manage to get into our list. The main focus was finding headphones that are actually worth spending money on from the point of view of an average consumer. Sound quality is always important when it comes to headphones, and over-the-ear ones deliver much better than in-ear ones. The headphones listed offer great value for money, and all of them sound great, even the cheaper ones.